I know everyone in their dog has a created a Blank theme for WordPress. You might be wondering why does the world need another one? My game plan is to make a starter WordPress theme that is graphically bare but has a ton of “backend” tools. I have been making notes of things I always do when creating a website. This theme will include all the things I would typically setup before even starting in on the design of the theme. I am going to try and make this theme very well documented. This will hopefully help people learn about WordPress and not feel intimidated.
I want to thank Chris Coyier of CSS Tricks fame. I started off using his Blank WordPress theme for the initial fork of the code. You can use this theme for personal or business use. This theme can be edited/Changed/forked to your liking. The only thing that I’d ask of you is:
- If you like or use this theme let a few other people know about it.
- Before you change or fork the Theme I’d ask if you’d let me know if there was a feature that is missing that you would like included so that everyone can benefit from it.
If you are needing a great Winnipeg WordPress developer you might want to check out my business website Winnipeg Experts.
Tutorials on how to use my Blank WordPress Theme
- How to use Child themes with my Blank Theme – 3/5/2012
- 3/6/2012 – Fix child theme Google Analytics bug and started including child theme example.
- 3/5/2012 – Cleaned up footer and moved google Analytics into a function
- 2/27/2012 – Added some extra features to the theme. On this post I am now going to list all the features of the theme and what version the features came in.
- 2/19/2012 – My Blank WordPress Theme was born.
Key features of my Blank WordPress Theme
- CSS Reset – 1.0.0
- HTML5 markup – 1.0.0
- jQuery included automatically – 1.0.0
- Easily target page via browser type using modrnizer – 1.0.0
- Added background and image selecting support in WordPress – 1.0.0
- Thumbnail (featured image)support added to theme – 1.0.0
- Added image sizes – 1.0.0
- Easily build a dropdown menu using one function – 1.0.1
- Easily select how the page is going to look (Sidebar left or right) using drop down – 1.0.1
- Example of Custom Taxonomy (disabled by default) – 1.0.1
- 2 Page Templates created – 1.0.1
- Registered two menus – Header & Footer – 1.0.1
- Google Analytics is now part of function.php instead of footer – 1.0.2
- Child Theme now included – 1.0.3
Custom Functions of the theme
- Build a dropdown menu using one function – jh_horz_dropdown_menu($menu_name); – 1.0.1
- Easily display the featured image on the page by calling one function – jh_display_featured_image($image_size_name); – 1.0.1
- Change custom menu function to allow for building horizontal or vertical fly-out menus using the same function. Function name will be generalized once the code work has been completed.
- Slider/Image rotator
- Get Theme Hosted on WordPress.com so updates can be applied automatically. Easier to install. ie. No FTP access needed.
- Version 1.0.3 – Download Blank WordPress Theme 1.0.3