Have you tried fixing the default windows printer using Microsoft Fixit and gone no where? It really sucks when you can’t change the default printer in Windows and I know I spent many hours trying to figure it out. I finally found out what causes this issue.
The first step you should use to troubleshoot why you can’t change the default printer in Windows is to log in as another user which is an administrator of the computer. Once logged in try and see if you can switch printers now. In all my time looking at these issues I have almost always found that the reason why you can’t change the default printer is your profile has become corrupt.
If you can’t change the printer under another user it could still mean that your profile is corrupt but it also could mean you’ve installed a printer driver that is too old for you OS and it’s causing havoc on your system.
The only resolution I have found is to delete the account and restore the data back into a newly created account.
Here’s the steps below how I fixed “Can’t change the default printer in Windows”.
- Take a backup of user account.
- Then log in as Administrator.
- Right-click on Computer and then select Properties.
- In the Properties window, select Advanced System Settings.
- Then select Advanced tab. Here, you click on Settings under User Profiles.
- Then select the profile and delete it.
- Then, log in as a broken user and then try to restore the files from backup, except ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log and Ntuser.ini, if required.
Each time I’ve seen this happen it’s normally after a machine has had a virus