When you try to upgrade a Windows 2008R2 Dc to Windows 2012R2 you will notice that you most likely can’t.
Depending on your setup you will most likely get one or two of these errors.
- System Devices: Microsoft Emulated S3 Device CapThe S3
- This is a non-critical error if you are running the system on a first generation Hyper-v virtual machine. Video driver isn’t supported in Windows 2012r2.
- Active Directory on this domain controller does not contain Windows 2012 ADPREP /FORESTPREP updates.
- The domain needs to be prepped. The link Microsoft provides might give you some insight but does not contain the correct info.
- The link they provide is: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=113955 – This link isn’t correct. See info further down in the post.
Here’s what the report looks like. It’s located on your desktop after a failed upgrade.
As you can see the link only talks about upgrading from really old OS’s to 2008/2008R2 domain controllers and not 2012r2.
At step 4 it says to run adprep from the OS disk to prepare the machine.
- D:\sources\adprep\adprep /forestprep
ADPrep is no longer found in this directory! It now can be found in:
It will run and you will be presented with some info. The main parts are:
- All Dc’s Must be Windows 2003 or later
- Can’t be reversed
- Hit “C” to continue
- Hit “ENTER” to EXIT
The command output is a few screens in length. Here is the output of the command in my test DC.
Now guess what! You also have to upgrade:
- adprep /domainprep
- Group Policy
- adprep /domainprep /gpprep
- adprep /rodcprep
These commands are similar to the first ADPREP command you entered.
Here is the output from those commands:
The group policy should already be updated but I like to still run the command to make sure:
Again you shouldn’t need to run this command but I do it anyways to make sure:
Rerun the install and you will see you can now hit “NEXT” after the compatibility report!
Voila! Your Upgrade is underway!