You might get the error WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed error when using CamStudio in Windows 8. In order to record sound you need to enable “Stereo Mix”. Microsoft hide it. Here are some instructions for enabling Stereo Mix (sometimes also called Wave Out Mix)recording:
- Select “Sound” from the control panel.
- Select the recording tab.
- Right click on the background of the tab and choose “show disabled devices”.
- Right click on Stereo Mix and click enable.
- Make Stereo Mix as your Standard
- Now it should work, allowing you to record any sound your computer makes.
- Start Cam Studio
- Go to Options\ Audio Options for Speaker
- Choose at Soundcard Device “Stereomix”
- Go to Options and enable “Record audio from speakers”
Hope this helps you fix the CamStudio Windows 8 WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed error!