While Canon calls it a “custom White balance” you actually get a better color balance when you use a 18% grey card. The process of creating a custom color balance using either a white card or a grey card is identical.
- Take a picture of the Grey Card (or White Card). The grey card should take up most of the frame.
- Hit the Menu Button
- Using your M-Fn (Multi-function) button scroll to the second tab.
- Using the main selection wheel on the back of the camera Make sure white balance is set to custom
- Below White Balance select “Custom WB”. The last picture you took of the grey card should be there. Tell the camera to use this image.
- Now as long as you stay in the same light your camera is now color balanced