Windows 8 no longer gives you Media Centre for free anymore. For a limited time (now till Jan 31,2013) Microsoft is giving people Media Centre for free on their website.
*Please note* – Media Center is not able to be installed on Windows 8 Enterprise. I take it Microsoft is viewing Enterprise as a business OS and doesn’t want people accidently sharing information through Media Center. While I understand the reasons why it was done I still wish that there was a way to enable it.
To get media center for free please check out this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs
- You will need to sign up
- It took Microsoft around 2 days to send me the key
When you get your email it will look something like this (I’ve removed the product key):
Here is the instructions on how to install the Windows 8 Media Center Pack:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
- Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
- Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
- Then tap or click I already have a product key.
- Enter the product key, and then click Next.
- Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.
Your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.