This article will show you exactly how to hack your Nintendo Wii and installing Homebrew (allowing you to run third party applications – such as a DVD player and play backed up games) on your Nintendo Wii. As the Nintendo Wii has only Left/Right audio plugs and so the best sound you will be getting is Pro Logic 2. So, it’s probably best if you stick to your current DVD player. This guide will show you how to do install the DVD player software. This is a soft mod, meaning that it doesn’t require a mod chip and so you will not have to open up your Nintendo Wii. Be warned however there is a small chance your Nintendo Wii could brick, although this is rare so be warned.
I have divided to split this guide into two sections:
- Installing Homebrew
- How to run Backups of your games
Section One – Installing Homebrew
- Nintendo Wii
- SD Card
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princes
- Wii Brew SD installer (Microsoft Windows OS)
- A Microsoft Windows PC with an SD Card Reader
What this hack will do is load a ‘fake game’ into Zelda Twilight Princess which will exploit a buffer overflow, thus allowing you to install homebrew on your Nintendo Wii (Much alike what is done on a PSP with Grand Theft Auto)
- To format your SD Card into ‘Fat-16’ – Insert your SD Card into the SD reader in your PC, Go to ‘My Computer’, Find the SD Card Reader, Right Click and select Format, A dialogue box should appear, Under ‘File System’ section select ‘FAT’, Format, Leave the SD card inserted.
- Download ‘Wii Brew SD installer’ from http://www.mediafire.com/?mdinnlyniyk
- Once downloaded run the ‘Wii Brew SD installer’ just downloaded. Select the file location – this should be the location of the SD card just formatted. To determine what this is go to ‘My Computer’ and check the letter in front of the name of the SD card – such as ‘F:’
- Select the region your Zelda Twilight Princess copy is from, most likely where you purchased your game. Then select ‘Homebrew Channel’, ‘Homebrew Browser’. DVDX will be installed in section two. You can probably install it now, but this is just the way I do it.
- Take a look at the inner circle of the date surface of your Zelda Twilight Princess copy. Depending on the inner circle number will determine which ‘save slot’ you will load the save file on. Note down the save slot. Now, your SD card is prepared.
- If you haven’t created a save game file of Zelda Twilight Princess please do so now (on your Wii) Now unplug the SD card from your PC and insert it into your Nintendo Wii. Switch on your Nintendo Wii. Erase the Zelda Twilight Princess saved game file, and copy the Twilight hack to your Nintendo Wii and finally execute it within Zelda Twilight Princess. As this may seem quite complicated and so the guys from WiiBrew have created a video showing exactly how this is done.
- Accept the disclaimer by pressing 1 on the Wiimote. Head back to the Wii menu and the Wii homebrew channel will be present.
Section 2 – Running backed up games
Now that Homebrew is installed I will now provide instructions on playing backed up games.
Please note that this guide is only applicable to you if you own a copy of the game. I do not condone piracy as it is ILLEGAL and I will not hold responsibility and any liability for any illegal actions in which you may take. What’s needed?
- Homebrew installed (Shown in section one)
- SD Card
- DVD-R burner
- Blank DVD-R media
- Nintendo Wii
- WinRAR (Windows)
1.) We will install cIOS36 Rev6 – Download (In Spanish) To save you registering you may use either of the usernames and passwords provided below:
2.) Download IOS36-64-v1042.wad
3.) Put IOS36-64-v1042.wad into the root of your SD card, this is done by formatting your SD card (refer to section one, step one). Make a folder called ‘apps’, copy ‘CIOS36’ into the apps folder just created and put ‘cIOS36_rev6-Installer.dol’ into the ‘CIOS36’ folder.
4.) Boot the installer and it should install it onto your Nintendo Wii. Voila, it’s now installed.
5.) Now it’s time for installing DVDx, which you can download here.
6.) Extract the file, place the DVDx files into the SD card by using your PC. Place dvdx under the ‘apps’ folder, with the .dol file placed within ‘driveletter’/apps/dvdx/.dol file here. Now run the installer on your Nintendo Wii by selecting the .dol file.
- Select ‘Advanced Install’
- Select 249
- And press install
7.) Download WAD Manager 1.3 and also Download backup launcher beta 0.3
8.) Extract ‘Backup Launcher 0.3 beta.wad from the RAR archive, create a folder in the root of the SD card, name this folder wad. Place the backup launcher 0.3 beta.wad into the wad folder created.
9.) Run the Wad Manager 1.3, press A, A, and select Backup Lancher 0.3 beta.wad, press the + button. When it’s installed, press the ‘home’ button and your Nintendo Wii console should restart. Present will now be Backup Launcher 0.3 as a new channel.
10.) You can now backup your games using a freeware application called Imgburn.