I help look after the technology needs of several of the largest arts orginization’s in Winnipeg. An issue came up the other day when I was asked to fix a computer because it wasn’t streaming audio properly. I looked at the machine and realized it wasn’t the computer that was having the issue, rather it was the way in which the file was being hosted by the website. To be even more precise, the issue was how it was posted.
Unfortunately when there are so many different computer configurations with software and browsers it’s almost impossible for people to have the same experience across all platforms.
After looking at several options and their prices:
- Flash – $699.99 from Adobe’s website
- Flash converter programs – Ranged from $29.99->$129.99
- WordPress plugin – Free – Easy to use. 🙂
I decided that I would test of the wordpress plugin.
Example of WPaudio Plugin
To start off with here’s what you will get once you follow my steps:
- High enough WordPress permissions to install plugins.
- Install “WPaudio MP3 Player”.
- Have at least one MP3 to upload to the server.
How to install the “WPaudio MP3 Player” plugin
- Log into your wordpress application.
- Click on Plugins
- Beside the “Manage Plugins” title there should be a “add new” button. Click it.
- Search for “WPaudio MP3 Player”.
- Click install
- You will see WordPress download and install the software. By default it should also activate it automatically.
- Go to the WordPress Settings Menu (Under Tools)
- Click on WPaudio
- Check off both boxes. (Convert all Mp3 links & Handle Audio Player Tags).
- Click Save changes.
Here are some screens from the different steps
How to use the “WPaudio MP3 Player” plugin
- Create a new post
- Click “Add Audio” button
- If you don’t have any mp3’s uploaded do so on this screen.
- If you have already uploded the file just click media library
- Click Show
- Click Insert into post
- It won’t look too special yet. Remember in the setup I got you to check off those two boxes? That was the real magic.
- Once you are done with the post hit “Publish”.
- Check out the post online.
- You’re done!