You might notice that you HP Pavilion a645c might be either extremely slow or doesn’t boot after installing Service Pack 3 (SP3). The reason why this might happen is when HP first created the machine they provided a REALLY old version of the driver for the AMD processor.
- On a separate machine go to the HP website and download the updates from here. The updates you need are:
- Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors.
- Microsoft QFE Update (KB835409) for System Restore
- You will need to copy these file to the machine in question. I use a $10 flash drive.
- If you machine still boots you should try and boot up in Safe Mode by pressing F8 during the boot process. Select Safe Mode when asked.
- Install both updates.
- Reboot the computer after both updates are installed.
Hopefully this will fix your slow problems on your HP Pavilion a645c.
PS – You might also need to use these two posts as well just in case your control panel icons got screwed up.