The most likely reason why the network adapter doesn’t show up in a Windows 2003 virtual machine is that you need to use a legacy adapter. In order to use a legacy adapter you need to:
- Make sure that the virtual machine in question is turned off and is not in any hibernation state.
- Once that is done you right click the Virtual machine. Remove any NIC’s that may currently be installed.
- Click “Add hardware”. It should be the top most option.
- You will select Legacy NIC
- Apply the settings and start the virtual machine
Notice that the Legacy Network Adapter will be yellowie-orangish color and say “Legacy Network Adapter”.